Safety & Candle Care
These are some guidelines to ensure your safety when using candles in your home:
- Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep. Be sure the wick ember is no longer glowing.
- Always keep a burning candle within sight.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Trim candlewicks to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and dripping.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Keep burning candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents. This will help prevent rapid, uneven burning, and avoid flame flare-ups and sooting. Drafts can also blow nearby lightweight items into the flame where they could catch fire.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains or ½ inch if in a container.
- Use a snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax splatters.
- Never extinguish candles with water. The water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might cause a glass container to break.
What do I need to do when lighting my candle for the first time?
All candle waxes retain a memory. In order to have a full melt pool, where liquid wax is touching every side of the container, the candle has to have a memory of that. For your first burn, we recommend that you burn the candle long enough for the melt pool to reach the edges of the container before extinguishing the flame. This will prevent the candle from burning down the middle creating a tunnel.
How do I keep my candle burning at its best?
Keep the wick trimmed to 1/4 inch at all times and remove any wick debris before lighting your candle.
How do I put my candle out?
Blowing the candle out is of course the easiest, but it will smoke for a while. We recommend using candle snuffers which will reduce smoke.
My candle has surface imperfections. Is this normal?
PRANA candles are all individually hand poured and while every effort is made to ensure consistency, each candle is unique. When using natural soy wax, sometimes you may notice slight imperfections on the surface of your candle as a result of temperature changes during shipping. This does not affect the candle in any way. It’s how you know it’s completely natural soy wax.